Like cheap perfume, the sweet smell of vaping e-cig liquid never quite leaves your house without some help.
When you use e-cigarettes indoors, the vapor can affect indoor air quality unless you have one of these 5 best air purfifiers for vaping.
There was a time I couldn’t seem to get rid of the vape skunk, no matter how many windows I opened.
I quickly realized that regular air cleaners and air conditioning won’t help, so I looked at air purifiers instead.
The best air purifiers can deal with the ultrafine aerosol pollutants released by vaping.
I’ll be sharing what I learned in my search, along with a list of high-end air purifiers I found to be superb for the job.
5 Best Air Purifiers For Vaping (E-Cigarettes)
After intensive research and many hours of review, I have narrowed down the options for the best air purifiers to these 5.
Apart from the features listed above, I also looked at different price points to ensure that you can find the right air purifier for your needs on this list.
Each review covers the most important points about each product, including the pros and cons.
Let’s get started.
IN A HURRY? HERE’S OUR TOP PICKS…..
We understand. Here is a quick overview of our top three air purifiers.
|Alen BreatheSmart FIT50||Coverage: 900 SqFt every 30 minutes
Note: Top Pick
|Blueair Blue Pure 211+||Coverage: 540 sq. ft
Note: Runner Up.
|Levoit Core 300||Coverage: 219 ft²
Note: Best For Small Rooms
1. Winix 5500-2 – Best Affordable Unit
The blocky, tower-type Winix 5500-2 is a strong contender for the best unit overall thanks to its amazing price point and powerful functionality.
Despite its budget pricing, it offers high-end performance perfect for small and medium-sized rooms with automatic fan speed adjustment.
The Winix 5500-2 is designed for medium-sized rooms of about 360 sq. ft.
- True HEPA filter and a washable AOC carbon filter
- Operates at 27.8 dB
- Air purity sensors for automatic fan speed adjustment
- Permanent PlasmaWave ionization filter
- High CADR rate of more than 200+
- The Winix 5500-2 is one of the most affordable yet high-quality models available
- The unit is as silent as the rustle of leaves, which makes it great for bedrooms
- Powerful operation makes it great for when you have multiple vapers in the same room
- Low maintenance washable carbon filter and permanent filter means you only have to deal with the unit once a year
- The unit relies on electrical ionization, so it consumes more electricity than similar models.
2. Alen BreathSmart FIT50 – Top Pick
Despite costing almost twice as much as the standard models, the Alen BreathSmart is my absolute favorite.
At least, it would be if money were no object. This is a monster of an air purifier capable of purifying up to 900 sq. ft of air every 30 minutes without missing a beat.
This unit is so good that it cleans out pollutants of up to 0.1 microns, including aerosolized stuff like viruses and vape odors.
- Intelligent, automatic adjustment based on air quality
- Custom design to fit the room decor
- Incredibly silent- this unit even emits a soothing pink noise to help you sleep better!
- A choice of four filters – HEPA Pure, HEPA Silver, HEPA Fresh Plus, and HEPA Odorcell
- Capable of cleaning large open rooms s
- Nothing escapes this beast of an air purifier
- Superb durability
- This is a beautiful unit, and you can customize it even further to suit your room decor
- Whisper-quiet and generates pink noise for sleeping
- Though it has manual controls, it is very intuitive and features a child lock
- Premium features including sensors, filter change indicator, and varying fan speeds
- The buying price and operational costs are high. You can expect to spend over $100 a year on filters and electricity costs
- No WIFI or remote operation is available
3. Blueair Blue Pure 211+ – Best Runner’s Up Model
This list winds up with what I consider to be the best runner-up up model – that’s the Swedish-made Blueair Blue Pure 211+.
This amazing unit sits at a slightly higher price point than the budget models and is designed for medium-sized rooms, so I consider it a great option for any type of user.
- Low-noise operation at 31-56dB
- Capable of operating in a room up to 540 sq. ft
- Different colors available
- Low-energy consumption
- Two washable pre-filters and two core filters
- This unit has a high-flow capability, making it perfect for smoking rooms as you vape with friends
- Washable pre-filters help to lower the unit’s operational costs
- Three-stage filtration removes everything from pet dander to odors from cooking
- The Swedish-made brand is super durable and high-quality
- It lacks a timer and sensors for air quality monitoring
4. Levoit Core 300 – Best For Small Rooms
This unit is the absolute best-seller on Amazon, and I was not surprised when I learned why.
The Levoit air purifier won’t cost you much over $100, but it packs a punch when you use it for small rooms.It’s a pretty little thing capable of moving air in rooms up to 219 sq. ft in size.
Plus, the unit sucks in air from all sides, so placement is not a problem.
Additionally, the Levoit Core 300 is super quiet, at only 300dB of sound.
This compact device has no sensors and no remote control, but it does have a 3-stage filtration system including a pre-filter, true HEPA filter for particulate matter, and granular activated carbon for odors.
- Compact air purifier capable of up to 141 CFM
- It lacks electronic filtration, so no ozone and low power consumption
- Energy-Star certified
- The unit has a Sleep mode which renders the unit almost completely silent
- A choice of different filters is available, including Pet Allergy, Toxin Absorber, and true HEPA
- Three-stage filtration system only needs servicing every 6-8 months
- Low noise design is perfect for sleeping areas
- It has no ozone emissions
- This unit will blend into any room
- Super affordable
- Super portable
- This unit is super small, which means that it’s only good for small rooms
5. Alen T500 Tower
Alen is an American company that researches, designs, and builds air purifiers only.
Many of its models are pretty pricey, but the Alen T500 is an affordable, compact, lightweight, and effective model.
Here’s an honest verdict about the Alen T500 – it works, but it could be better.
A weak noisy fan and low CADR means you’re better off opting for other models from Alen (see our top pick), but this is a great air purifier if you’re on a budget.
- Capable of cleaning up to 500 sq. ft every 30 minutes
- A choice of four filters are available: true HEPA, HEPA Silver, HEPA Fresh, and HEPA OdorCellQuick control settings with an LCD screen
- Noise levels range between 42dB to 56dB
- It comes with an ionizer for permanent air cleaning
- For a more affordable price, you get the functionality of a much more expensive air purifier
- The fan can get loud, so it’s not ideal for quiet rooms
How To Choose An Air Purifier For Vaping (Smokeless Cigarettes)
One of the things I learned early on is that vaping requires a more advanced form of filtration than simple air cleaners can provide.
They need to have a special design to enable them to remove pollutants in an aerosol form such as nicotine, metallic particles, and byproducts of flavoring agents.
Since these byproducts raise the risk of second-hand smoking in homes for non-vapers and children, it’s always worth investing a premium in the best air purifier you can find.
Here are the features to look for in a good air purifier fit for use when vaping.
1. Purification Technology Used
Mechanical HEPA filters are essential in air purifiers. They can catch over 99% of airborne particulate matter larger than 0.3 microns.
In this case, smoke particles. Carbon filtration is also necessary to remove the odors that get through mechanical filtration.
Any other filtration technology such as electronic air purification, ozone generators, and photocatalytic oxidation is only minimally effective and can even prove to be harmful.
Air purifiers are certified by their power, that is, how much air they can move in a minute or hour.
Called Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR), this is a measure of what concentration of pollutants would be achieved by adding that amount of clean outside air to the room.
Air purifiers with a CADR rating of above 180 are very good, while anything below that is good only for portable models.
Others are rated by room size, which you can usually find in the manufacturer’s instructions.
High-powered air purifiers use powerful, loud fans to move air.
This may not be ideal when you’re just trying to zone out with a good vape, so you should look for a model with less than 50 decibels of noise.
That’s about the same as a regular refrigerator or dishwasher.
Some air filters require more work to maintain, including cleaning and replacing filters.
Washable pre-filters are a nice addition, but most models require servicing every 3-12 months.
The easier to clean the unit is, the easier it will be to maintain it in prime condition.
You should also think about the operational costs of the unit in terms of energy use and replacement filters.
5. Extra Features
There are some extra features that, though not necessary, are good for convenience and improved functionality. These include:
- Remote or WIFI control
- Air purity sensor
- Filter change indicator
- WIFI connectivity to control the device from your phone
- Multiple fan speed settings
Do air purifiers help with vaping?
Air filters help with vaping by absorbing the byproducts of e-cig juice from the air, thus improving indoor air quality.
This makes it healthier for non-vapers in the house and eliminates vaping odors from seeping into clothing and furniture as well.
Do air purifiers help the lungs?
Yes! Those with asthma can attest that by removing particulate and other pollutants, air purifiers help to reduce irritants from the air.
These include smoke, nicotine particles, pet hair, and other allergens
Do air purifiers get rid of the smoke smell?
A good air purifier such as the Blueair Blue Pure can clear a smoky room in less than 30 minutes under medium or full speed.
This makes them perfect for clearing vape smoke and odors from the room even as you vape with friends.
What Makes an Air Purifier Great for Vaping?
As opposed to air cleaners, air purifiers have multi-stage filtration with carbon filters.
The activated carbon makes all the difference by absorbing smoke particles, odors, and other tiny particles so that only crisp air is recirculated into the room.
Vaping may be fun and less harmful than smoking cigarettes, but it still affects non-vapers and indoor environments in much the same way.
The byproducts of vaping such as nicotine, nitrogen oxide, and others can irritate others and leave bad odors in the room.
This is where high-quality air purifiers come in. They help to remove these pollutants from the air to keep your indoor air free of smoke and vape juice residue.
Plus, they’re great for pet hair, dust, mold spores, and even bacteria as well.
I hope this post was helpful and can help you narrow down the best air purifiers for vaping.
Editor’s Pick: Alen BreatheSmart FIT50
While expensive, the Alen BreatheSmart is the most effective air purifier I came across on my search.
You can always choose a smaller or bigger model to suit your needs, but you won’t regret your decision.
Looking For Air Purifier Guides?
If you’re looking for more air purifier resources, consider checking out our other posts on air purifiers.
- Can HEPA Filters Be Washed And Reused?
- Do Air Purifiers Cause Sinus Problems?
- How Many Air Purifiers Do I Need?
- Air Purifier Vs. Humidifier For A Baby
- Do HEPA Filters Have Fiberglass In Them?
(writer & chief editor)
Irene Mills is eager to help others create an indoor allergen-free home. She has years of experience testing out air purifiers, dehumidifiers, and other products designed to help with indoor air quality. Want to know more? Check out our About Us page.